Monday, May 30, 2016

How to Have an Adventure- 101

So, I told Nea we were going on an adventure today. Why would I do that?

Summer is here (only 2 days of school left) which means routines will be different- if they exist at all and that can sometimes make my girl a little topsy turvy.

"What are we doing Mama?"

"I haven't decided yet.  We'll pack a bag of extra stuff  and see where the day takes us."

She looked at me, concern on her face, "But we don't know where we are going?  What if we get lost?"

"Naw, we won't get lost.  I know this town very well and I can get us home."  I replied.

"Well, okay, but what's the plan?"

Ahh...the plan.  Always wanting a plan, a routine.  And yes, I am fully aware that this is comforting for many people.  But I am also aware that for Nea, she can get so caught up in "the plan" that when there's a bump along the way...it's a disaster.  Who can forget the pancake incident a few years ago because we sat in a different booth at a restaurant?  Not me, that's for sure.

Now, spontaneity is something I cherish.  In fact, it's deeply embedded in my psyche and an integral part of my skill set.  However, it's not the easiest thing to teach.  Therefore, you just have to model!

"How will we know we are doing the right thing?" she asked me.

"Because we'll feel it, and we'll know."

"Hmm....I don't know Mama."

"Let's go!"

Out the door we went!

We headed to our friends house that live in the neighborhood.  They weren't home (on their way however) but we saw another friend a few houses down.

"Oh!  Hey! Let's go visit T!"

"But you said we were visiting, S and L"

"I know, but they aren't home right now so now we have a new plan."

"This is weird."    (Oh my poor girl)

We stayed at T's house for a few minutes and chatted.  Nea explored the plants on the porch, jumped into the conversation from time to time, checked out the dog through the window and then we left.

S and L were getting ready to do some yard work so we decided to help.  I know it doesn't sound like all kinds of fun, but it was the perfect thing to have happen!  She was the assigned helper and was given little jobs along the way.  Nothing makes her more happy than to be the helper.  Well okay, that's not true.  Nothing makes her more happy than to be in charge.

But she did help scoop mulch, lay mulch and trim some bushes.  She was able to discover bugs and insects along the way.  When your friend is a teacher...there's always a lesson too!  Nea's union rep was able to secure her some breaks.   So her "kid breaks" included bubbles and side-walk chalk, and tossing a tennis ball. It doesn't sound like much, but none of that was in any sort of plan and she adapted very nicely!
When you work hard, you play hard!  So off we were for a boating adventure on the lake.

I don't think she had any idea what to expect.  But we rode in their Jeep, top down and Yeeeeehaww!- so that keeps ya focused on the here and now!

"Thrill seeker, no fear."  This is the phrase I tend to use when describing Nea and someone asks me, "Do you think she'll do XYZ?"

The boat- not scary at all.  "Faster!  Go Faster!".

















In the water- yup!  " I like swimming!"

More zipping across the lake, "Yah baby!!  Go! Go! Go!"


We went out for pizza when we came back to land.    Of course the most important part is that she gained new friends.  She was knee-keep in this "no plan, full of socialization" day. It was wonderful to watch her interact with her new friends and  have important conversations.  She talked about school, her friends there and how one of them put an appleseed in her ear (what!?).


Not too shabby of a day considering that none of it was planned.   As we drove away she commented.....



"You're right Mama, that felt good in my heart."


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blogs Buffy.very interesting. Ann lael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blogs. It is very apparent that you are in-tune and attentive to Nea, and enjoy recognizing her growth. Thanks for sharing. --Kathy Schultz

    ReplyDelete