Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Finding a Routine

We have 3 days of school under our belt!  Overall it has been a very wonderful 3 days.  The 1st day was a bumpy school bus pick up (over 30 min late), but it's been just fine after that!

The teacher sends home a folder every Wednesday with information for us.  Some stuff is FYI, some stuff is "complete and return."  I just find it hysterical how the kids are a miniature messenger service! Our folder today consisted of the the speech language lesson, the classroom newsletter and the lunch menu.

The what?  The lunch menu?

I knew they were having food during class, but I just assumed it was some sort of snack.   Like perhaps a couple graham crackers and some peanut butter.  I looked over the menu and there is always a grain, a fruit and a vegetable.  Interesting.  I really want to know if my kiddo eats "a side salad w/lo fat ranch" or "egg salad on whole grain" or (and my personal favorite) "green pepper slices with ranch."  Seriously, if she is eating these items at school but doesn't seem to touch these items at home then her and I are going to have to come to terms on a few things!  Regardless if she eats it or not, there is a learning piece here.  Eating is a very social event in our society, so sitting down with friends over a meal is a great activity!  This also gives me a subject I can talk to her about after school.  "So, how was the pasta salad with broccoli today?"

Even in just the 3 days she's been at school, she is starting to act out a few things.  One night while she was playing in the bathtub I heard, "Come on, everybody!  Line up!"  She also seems to like to give speeches.  She still uses jargon speech often, but I can remind her to "slow down, stop, think" and I am able to get a few more words than I ever have before!

Giving a "speech"


Last session with Diana, Speech therapy

Playing "kitchen" with Speech therapist

Wednesdays will continue to be busy for her.  Even though she's done with speech therapy, she still attends OT in the mornings.  Her teacher and I have talked about that so that she is aware she may be a little more strung out than usual on any given Wednesday.  Today did not seem to be a problem and we are all thrilled! The spending time at our local hospital lobby, grabbing a smoothie at Jamba Juice and exploring play spaces are all part of the ritual for her.   She was confused about not going to Diana's room after OT today, but to her credit she did just fine.  "Nea, we don't see Diana anymore.  You have school today."  Her response simply was, "oh! okay!"

A notebook also travels back and forth between the teacher and myself.  A few things noted by the teacher....

"...it was a great first day!  She did great!"

"...it's so cute how she says my name!  She is a ball to have in class!"

Oh how this makes a Mama's heart soar!  Pictures of classroom time also went up.  Seeing her with her peers playing blocks, or on the teeter-totter or sitting quietly listening to a story just always amaze me.  I love that she's loving school.

Nea's after school rituals have been simply to come home, grab the iPad, a paci and vege a bit on the beanbag watching Garfield.  She always wants a snack and something to drink.  Hmm.....maybe those "cantaloupe chunks" aren't really filling her up.  (hahah)
After school ritual
Early dismissal all week due to the high heat index.  Those buses are hot!  And I don't believe every school in the district has air conditioning yet (although I could be wrong!).  I'm not sure what she's losing due to getting out an hour early, but what an adjustment for those teachers to have to make!

We may need to find ourselves playing on the water splash pad to beat the heat the next few days!



P.S.- If you are reading this blog and think that our story could help another parent, please share the blog page or facebook page!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment