Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Tears in Therapy

Don't worry, they weren't Nea's, they were mine.

Let me start from the beginning.

We had a team meeting today with all of Nea's therapists and myself to review goals, set new goals and make sure we were all moving in the same direction.  I asked for the meeting soon after we got the Autism diagnosis because I just needed to assure myself that everyone was coming from an "A-game" perspective.

It was a good meeting.  We are really fortunate to have great services in this community and I do not take it for granted.  All 3 therapists (OT, speech and Developmental) along with our case worker of EI shared and provided tons of information.  As a person who works in the medical field, I cannot express enough how important information exchange is in so many cases.  Certainly, having a kiddo with special needs deserves the right amount of attention and focus.

This was my first lesson in advocacy.   That's good.  I need these lessons in little intervals along the way.

One of the things that I brought up was my concerns about this picture below:


See that hair clip on her arm?  She dug in my purse, searching for that I can only presume.  (I can't say I know for sure.)  And she kept that on her arm for a full 25-30 minutes.  She became really agitated when I tried to take it off and sat watching a Pooh movie.   After about a half hour I couldn't watch it any longer and took the clip away.  This is the result:

You can imagine my concern.  So I shared these photos today in our meeting.  "A" (the OT) was VERY glad to have the information.

"She's telling us that she needs deep pressure to stay focused and calm."

We discussed at length the things that I can do at home so she can get that same outcome, without nasty marks.  So we came up with a plan....
1)  Get her wrist weights about 2lbs each.
2)  Use hair bands (scrunchies) to put on her arms (she has actually requested this in the past)
3)  Tighter clothes
4)  Get her a backpack and load about 4lbs of toys and books in it and have her carry around when we go to store, appointments, etc.

We then talked about communication and all therapists felt that getting a picture board for her was going to be very useful and would help her to continue to meet goals.  So a picture board is in progress, the first one for the fridge with pics on it of yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, juice and cheese.  (We like dairy products at our house!)  We'll make one of her favorite things like Tigger, the paci, trains, the iPad, etc.  Then we'll also do picture boards for activities like teeth brushing, bedtime, going to the store, etc.  We need Nea to learn the art of communication....if she says the word, GREAT!, if she signs it, GREAT!, if she points to a picture, GREAT!  The point is, she needs to understand that communication is really important.

TAP is an organization that networks resources for families with kids on the spectrum.  It's one of the most robust systems nationwide.  And really, there is more information in their website than I think I'll ever be able to use!  One of the things we talked about is getting Nea in a playgroup through TAP, which apparently has a waiting list and they recommended I put her on it now.

Whew, okay.  At this point....with everything we discussed in detail, trying to formulate a plan in my head, making sure I understand thoroughly as possible.....

....there were tears.

Of course everyone was more than understanding and I appreciated all the kind words.  Of course I had to get some things done when I got home so I could clear my head....

1)  Make appointment with a dentist for Nea (there is no putting that off any more and it's really important that she gets involved early.  Had good recommendation from the therapists).
2)  Talk with the Aquatic Director at the Y.  Should Nea be in the almost 3 class or a special needs class.  Impulse control is hard for her, and sitting on the side of the pool waiting for her turn is really difficult unless I'm in the pool with her.  So which should she do?  ( I left a message)
3)  Purchased 8 UnderArmour shirts online so she can wear under clothes.  They will provide compression and tightness for her.
4) Downloaded apps for colors and begin teaching for social cues.  (ooh boy, teaching social cues is going to be difficult!)

*Whew!* Okay....that felt better.  (I mean let's face it, shopping always makes me feel better)

As overwhelming as today was, there was a bright spot when I began to learn about Temple Grandin.  If you don't know who she is....University of Google is your friend.

I need a little inspiration these days, and I'm planning to watch that movie this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. A-ha...I suspected the deep pressure thing just from some of the other things she liked. Way to go Buffy! The relationships that you are building with her therapists are a good training for working with school personnel...being an advocate without being adversarial can be a fine line sometimes, and it sounds like you are taking just the right approach. Love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete