Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 in Review

2011 is soon out the door.  It's been a good year in our household.  Parenting is an adventure, don't let anyone tell you any different.  There is "fine print" but in the end, it all gets wrapped up in sticky fingers anyway....so who cares?

We watched in awe as our cherub baby turned into a sassy, spirited toddler with crazy hair and a strong personality.

Nea 10 months
Nea 20 months



We were sad to say good-bye to Jon's Mom, but very happy to be with family in Denver during this time.  Zan was a great person with lots of great stories of her work with the Native American tribes of our country.   We will share Zan's stories with Nea so that she gets a piece of the grandmother she was never able to know.
Zan & Nea July 2010 (3 months) in family heirloom dress


Zan's parents (seated), children and grandchildren




The return of my brother from his 2nd tour of duty was certainly a highlight of the year.   It was nice to have him back safely, but we know that's not true for all soldiers and their families.  Believe me when I tell you, we remember that often.
Trent, Tarra, Mason, Thad holding Nea & Zac


We spent the summer in parks, pools and playgrounds.  Our motto is, "Adventure is the best teacher!"
Mason City pool

SouthWind park playground


SouthWind Park splash pad

We have spent many weekends throughout the year at Grandma's house.  No one loves our little girl as much as we do...but Grandma sure comes close.  She rejoices in everything our daughter does and hangs on our every word.  What more could a parent want!
Grandma and Nea

I started grad school in pursuit of my MBA.  It's been a lot of work, but I'm very proud to say that the first year is almost complete!  Jon has been an amazing support as I work to keep Mommy and Nea time, along with work and school all balanced.

Mommy & Nea toes


















Nea totally adores and loves her cousin Mason.  She calls him "Masey" and enjoys every second with him.  The two of them seem more like siblings than cousins and Mason adores her just the same.  Weekends spent at Grandma's house always included her Masey.


We attended Springfield's first Gay Pride event, and had a blast!  It was an impressive event and a great turn out!    We can't wait for next year!

















I attended my 25 year class reunion.  What a wonderful time!  Who says you can't go back?  Many of the people I went to high school with I still talk to today!

Beardstown High School class of 1986 (plus Robert!)

My sister and I have the same reunion year (it was her 20th) so we will always be attending this special weekend together.  Speaking of my sister, we started many new traditions this year:  Spending New Year's together, Fall festival weekend, baking Christmas cookies together.....  It's been a great year for her and I on this journey in parenthood.

My sister Tarra 














We met new friends.......


And formed even stronger bonds with some of our nearest and dearest....

















We went to several playdates (even if there was no actual playing together but more in the vicinity of each other) and enjoyed running around with someone of the same size!



I found my voice  about "Raising Our Daughters" and gave a presentation at my church.  The sooner the world gets used to girls snuggling up with trucks....the better off we are going to be.




Oh, we had a few brushes with illness over the year but overall, we did well.  Nea was cleared from her cardiologist from her ventricular septal defect and requires no further follow-up!

Thank you to my family for being such a wonderful support to us as we raise our daughter in this exciting but unpredictable world.  Thank you to my friends for providing unconditional love....just like any family.

Photo by Blue Daisy Art


May you all have a fabulous New Year!!!   Bring on 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment