Monday, October 14, 2013

superhero


su·per·he·ro /ˈsu:pɚˌhiroʊ/ noun
plural su·per·he·roes
1 : a fictional character who has amazing powers (such as the ability to fly)
2 : a very heroic person 



There are many definitions of what makes a superhero, super.  It's not something I thought about until our superhero cape came today in the mail.

What DOES define a superhero?  I'm sure when you hear the term, something very distinct comes to mind.  A particular outfit?  The cape?  An attribute?  A strong moral code?

Here is a great discussion about this topic by Katie Schwarz:

"No definition will ever work perfectly, because "superhero" isn't a concrete distinct category but an archetype.  One can use a definition to determine if a character is nearer of further from the archetype, but never to find a definitive line, with supers on one side and everyone else on the other.  That line doesn't exist."

Now I think I understand.

What's a superhero?  I think it's whatever you define it to be, under whatever circumstances you feel require super powers of some kind.  And with that, I think Nea fits the bill.

When I think about what this little girl has been through over the past year or so, I am amazed.  She has shown  strength, courage, and an innate ability to smile through it all.  Yes, she has an entire team (therapists, teachers, family, friends) of folks that help her endeavors.  They encourage, they cheer, they support, they teach, they dry a tear and they believe in her unconditionally.  Superheros always need sidekicks, and Nea's SideKicks list is very long!

I've seen her get frustrated.  I've seen her freeze in fear meeting a new situation.  I've watched her get funny looks from other kids and simply go find another kid to approach.  I've heard her say, "I'm okay" even as I've held her tight with her little body shaking from sensory overload.  Her brain, her spirit, her senses and her being get shook every single day.
Can eat an ice-cream cone in a flash!


Could you do it?  I don't think I could.  I really don't.

Today Nea received a superhero cape in the mail.  We were on our way to the park when Poppa checked the mail and brought it to me as we were loading up the car.  I opened it, and started crying.  Such a sweet, wonderful gift for my girl who loves all things Batman, Spiderman and Ironman.

The handwritten note said,

"Super Antonea!  Roxanne thinks you are a Tiny SuperHero!  We agree!  Welcome to the Squad!"

Able to run at lightening speed!


Oh, my goodness!  How amazingly fun and very empowering.

Since she was buckled in her carseat I decided to wait until we were home to show her the cape.  (Just a sidenote....that was just dumb.  Seriously, I could have had some very fun photos in the park with cape!).  When we got home, I let her open the package and see it.

"Mama!  I'm a hero!"

She knew exactly what to do with it.  She wanted it on, she ran to look in the mirror and she exclaimed, "Just like Batman!  I'm a hero!"

Did I get it on video?  No, because I'm an idiot.
SuperNea's new cape!

Suffice it to say....Nea is one of the happiest superheros in town tonight.  THANK YOU to Roxanne for making this girl smile with pride and feel empowered!

We can't wait to see what adventures await Super Nea!




SuperNea hard at work

If there is a tiny superhero that YOU would like to nominate and sponsor, check out their website here!

No comments:

Post a Comment